Saturday, July 7, 2012

ONE WORD 365 // Week 25, Book 20

I bought this book on one of my bookstore tours of NYC. I brought it with me on vacation, hoping that I could finally read it. I did -- in two sittings.

Night
By Elie Wiesel

I found this book at Housing Bookworks in NYC. I heard about it in days past but never picked it up, until now. It took me over a year to get around to reading it, but once I did, I couldn't put it down. I finished it in two sittings -- it's not too long and it's such a compelling story that you want to finish it.

Elie Wiesel tells his story of experience, enduring and surviving Holocaust. He was a teenager when his family was taken from their home and sent to Auschwitz; he was then sent to Buchenwald, a labor camp.

This story was horrifying and terrifying. A firsthand account of someone living through the Holocaust, there is nothing easy about that. Even though I knew the storyteller survived it, learning about the price he paid physically, emotionally and spiritually was overwhelmingly sad. It was eye-opening. How Wiesel conveyed the loss of innocence and despair was palpable; I felt like I was there. 

It's one of those books that marks a horrible part of human history but is important to read. I highly recommend it; I'd even share my copy.

No comments: