Sunday, May 11, 2008

NEW TESTAMENT: ACTS - REVELATION

Covered exactly what the title says, Acts to Revelation. This course was led by a brilliant Pauline scholar. We spent most of our time in Acts, Romans, Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Hebrews and Revelation. For all the books we looked at authorship and dating based on contents, etc. Nothing that I can’t look up later in the books that we had to buy for class.
  • Romans: One of our papers was on the purpose of Romans. It actually turned out to be interesting research. My conclusion: Paul wrote Romans for missionary, pastoral and apologetic purposes. I got an A. I understood the missionary and pastoral purposes beforehand; researching the apologetic purpose was new. The idea that Paul was heading to Jerusalem with the offering from the Gentile churches and was using Romans as a practice run for what he was going to say...sweet. Put all three parts together and read Romans...sweet.
  • Read Paul’s letters in order: 1 Thess, Gal, Phil, Phlm, 1 Cor, 2 Cor, Rom
  • Revelation: This was my favorite part of Dr. Kim’s lecture. I think he actually became more animated in this part of the course. Maybe that was because he was almost done teaching us, I don’t know. But his description of the structures within Revelation was absolutely fascinating. The most fascinating part: "And the sea will be no more." Still makes me shake my head in amazement. (And my New Testament professor this quarter Dr. Green – another brilliant man – touched on this recently, too.) Have you ever thought about why "the sea will be no more"?
    • The new creation in Rev 21 is more than a restoration of original creation. For in it there will be “no longer any sea,” whereas in the first creation the “sea,” the primeval source of evil (cf. 13:1), remained as the potential threat to the cosmos (Gen 1:2; 7:11). Check out Isaiah 27:1.

No comments: