Sunday, April 1, 2012

ONE WORD 365 // Week 12, Book 12

This was a re-read. It's been a couple years and I need to brush up on my study of Christianity in American culture today, especially as it pertains to the differences between generations. Plus, I want to read The Next Christians but I wanted a refresher on the research that David Kinnaman and Gabe Lyons published earlier.

Unchristian
By David Kinnaman and Gabe Lyons
Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 2007

This book is just handy if you have any inkling to study or work with church and culture in America. Granted, after a couple years any research becomes dated but this book is foundational to understanding faith and culture in America today. It's a first glimpse into how "Busters" and "Mosaics" think.

The Barna Group conducted the research. It's thorough, eye-opening and thrilling, in my opinion. The comprehensiveness of the research will give any reader a good starting point in understanding what Busters and Mosaics think about Christianity and Christians. Some will be surprised. I wasn't so much but I'm a Buster and I have friends that would be considered what the books calls "outsiders" and those "inside" the church that think/believe like outsiders.

Man, I love this book. But I'm kind of junkie for this type of talk. I find it so fascinating and I love the research that goes with it. I hope in the future to work more closely with church and culture study -- to help churches understanding their own personal culture and how they can research the cultures found in their community.

Also, I found a recent article (links to research included) from The Barna Group that goes along the information and purpose of this book: Top Trends of 2011: Millennials Rethink Christianity.

No comments: